Friday, December 19, 2008

Radical Math, Anyone? Anyone?

To say that I dislike Math is a gross understatement… When I was in school, it was, by far, my worst subject. I dumped more time into studying math lessons than studying for all of my other subjects combined… and yet my grade was always lowest in that subject. I dreaded math. I hated math. I had NIGHTMARES about math. I spent half of my adolescent life grounded over math grades.

So, here I am – twenty five years later – pleading with my 4th grader to do her math homework, recognizing the same issues in her that I struggled with, way back then… and the only thing I can think of is that I have to help her… but I’m not exactly sure how.

I’m putting this out there because I’m looking for a radical approach to teaching math to her… and by radical, I mean unique, out of the box methods that will be un-intimidating and engaging… something that will alleviate some of her all-too-familiar math anxiety. HELP!

No comments: